Monday, March 24, 2014

Soup weather: potato and kale from the garden

Suddenly its cold and wet. We have had torrential rain since yesterday.  It is a great night to hole up inside with a lovely bowl of soup.

Recipe for potato and kale soup

Garlic, peeled and chopped
Parsley and rosemary, chopped
Olive oil
Potatoes, washed peeled and chopped
Kale, trimmed and chopped
Celery, sliced
Water
Milk
Greek yoghurt
Parmesan to serve

Place garlic in a large saucepan with olive oil.  Heat until garlic starts to brown, then toss in herbs and celery and keep heating.  Toss in potatoes and kale and stir in the oil and herbs for a minute or two before adding just enough water to cover.

Cook on the stove top until potatoes are soft.

Puree in batches. Add milk and yoghurt until the soup is a lovely creamy consistency.
Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and a crunchy bread roll.
All the ingredients in the soup apart from the dairy and olive oil came from my garden.  I ducked down during a brief break in the rain and harvested celery, spuds, kale and herbs.  The garlic I have in abundance from this summer.

I made bread rolls as well to make it a really great meal.  I used my bread machine to make the dough. I don't mind kneading dough but like to use my machine and there are a couple of reasons why. Firstly its quite cold here so it can be hard work to get the dough to rise.  But the main reason is that it saves so much time. While the dough was mixing and rising I cooked pasta, lentil curry, basil pesto, and the soup. I did about 4 loads of washing too, but sadly it all had to go through the drier due to the rain. Even my wide verandah is awash. 

To make rolls I set the machine to dough. When ready I turned it out on to the floured bench.  I cut the dough into 10 pieces and rolled them out. I spread olive tapenade on one half of the rounds and basil pesto on the other. I rolled each up, and placed into a baking tray lined with paper then left them on top of the stove to rise again while the oven warmed up, then baked them until sounding hollow when tapped. 

I highly recommend these kinds of rolls, you can use so many types of filling from herbs to cheese or pumpkin and ricotta.  And make them all different sizes, lunch or dinner roll sized or batards.  
Give them a go.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive