Sunday, June 24, 2012

Garden scenes from the solstice

A quick journey through my garden shortly after the winter solstice.  It is a cold winter, very crisp days, a little rain but mostly sunny. There have been many frosty in the area but no so many here. The odd plucky little potato and nasturtium vine are testamony to few frosts.  After the solstice we acknowledge continuing cold but celebrate the gradual lengthening of days.


For late June however the garden is a little confused.....

An agapanthus on the shady side of the hedge in flower to spite the cold.

Daffodils a month early...
And jonquils ...
My earlier rhododendrens...
blue and yellow, marquerites and lavender...
and snow flakes.
In my vegie garden I have been weeding and mulching for a new berry patch.

 My new berry plants have arrived from the ...
 Diggers Club. I have high hopes of delicious berries this summer.

 A teensy wincy cauliflower.


And salad greens galore. I have planted rocket, red sorrel and Japanese red spinach or komatsuna.  My aim this year is to plant lots of different plants, lots of unusual varieties.

Hopefully we will have a fruitful season ahead.

1 comment:

  1. It always seems so wierd to me that just as we celebrate our summer saltice as you are celebrating the winter one!

    We had our daffodils months ago...

    ...your plants look lovely and the Japanese red spinach unusual I've never seen that before...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...