Sunday, July 7, 2013

Gardening with an audience

I love my garden, love growing food. It is astonishing though how quickly it all goes to pot and gets overgrown. Nature: ie grass takes over completely in the blink of an eye. Over the past two weekends I have dug and mulched and the beds are all looking beautiful and fertile.

The paths and open areas are still a disaster but I will fix that next weekend. My lower back has had enough today and my hands feel like sandpaper.

I worked one bed at a time - weeded, then mulched. The asparagus bed got an extra treatment with a mix of homespun compost and horse manure.



I discovered kale and red spinach in this bed that self-seeded from last season. 

I'm back inside in front of a fire. The cute thing though is that I had an audience today when I worked.

The cows who live over the fence came to look so I threw them the grass I pulled out. It feels good to reconnect with the earth to dig and nurture and grow.

1 comment:

  1. I love growing my own produce too. So satisfying to use herbs and vegges from the garden.

    PS: Enter the Cosima Skincare giveaway today: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/07/cosima-organic-skincare-review-and.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...