Monday, August 5, 2013

Herbs for chicken health

Today I gave my chickens a posie of herbs for their good health. 
They've been out all day scratching around. When they go in tonight there is a surprise for them hanging just near their laying boxes. I have given them dandelion, thyme, mint, lemon balm, parsley and oregano.  I found a list of herbs and their uses for chickens here. I have a lot of them in my garden already although some like parsley and oregano are in short supply at this time of year.  This way they can self medicate and eat what they need.

They have clean bedding in their nesting box which I have strewn with lavender to keep mites and bugs away. 
It is also supposed to reduce stress and increase blood circulation. 



2 comments:

  1. What lovely photo's Jodie and what lucky chickens. We plan to get some if we move somewhere a little further out of the city it's great that I can learn from your experience in their upkeep.
    Thanks for sharing.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't try this but in Australia they have companies where you can actually hire chooks to try them out, if you like them you can keep them. Amazing concept.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive